The Media Council of Kenya (MCK) has called on the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (ODPP) and the Inspector General of the National Police Service to take urgent action against individuals behind a recent wave of attacks and violence targeting journalists and media practitioners.
In a statement on Monday, August 17, MCK Director for Media Training and Development, Victor Bwire, raised concern over an unprecedented increase in attacks across the country.
He warned that the incidents, coupled with limited action by authorities, could pose a serious threat to media freedom and democracy ahead of the 2027 General Election.
"The Council is deeply concerned by the unprecedented attacks on journalists witnessed across the country in recent weeks, which have resulted in injuries, destruction of equipment, and online harassment by security agents, goons, and political party supporters, with little action from the responsible authorities.
"This inaction sets a dangerous precedent ahead of the 2027 General Election. Despite Kenya's laws and international treaties requiring authorities to guarantee a safe working environment for journalists, their safety and protection remain elusive," the statement read.
Read More
MCK said continued attacks and the lack of investigations and prosecutions of perpetrators represented a major threat to independent journalism and access to information in Kenya.
"The Council is convinced that the continued attacks, intimidation and crimes against journalists, and the reluctance by the relevant investigating agencies to prosecute the perpetrators is the biggest threat to the country's democracy and media freedom.
"One of the major challenges in the defence of independent journalism and access to information in Kenya is lack of investigation and prosecution of press freedom violations," the statement added.
MCK said 18 journalists and at least two drivers working for different media houses had been assaulted and injured over the past two months, describing the incidents as evidence of an escalating pattern of violations against press freedom.
"A total of 18 journalists and at least two drivers from different media houses have been assaulted and injured by unidentified individuals in the last two months, setting a worrying trend of escalation of press freedom violations in the country while giving the perpetrators confidence to continue with their acts of impunity," the statement further read.
According to MCK, the latest attacks occurred on Sunday, August 16, during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay, where at least eight journalists and two drivers were reportedly injured.
Francis Mwangi and Evans Okeyo of Mediamax Network Ltd were badly injured and their car burnt, while Sammy Omingo and Rodgers Otiso of the Standard Group were physically assaulted.
Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro of Associated Foreign Press were attacked and had their cameras destroyed while Ken Odiwuor of KBC-Mayienga was beaten and had his equipment stolen.
In addition, Kevin Fraji of Citizen TV and his driver were assaulted and their car destroyed.

On August 12, 2026, Nation Media Group photojournalist Karim Rajan was also attacked near the Mombasa County Assembly while covering a gathering involving youth and human rights representatives.
MCK also said five journalists from Mt Elgon TV were attacked on July 23, 2026, while covering a political aspirant in Kimilili, with one of them seriously injured.
During the Ol Kalou By-Election, at least four journalists were physically attacked and their equipment confiscated.
The affected journalists included George Kieru, Brygette Ngana and Fabiola Akinyi of Nation Media Group and Enos Teche of the Star Newspaper, who reported the incidents to the police.
MCK said the attacks violated constitutional protections and Kenya's international obligations concerning freedom of expression and the safety of journalists.
"Attacks and violence against journalists are an affront to the Constitution of Kenya, which guarantees fundamental freedoms, including freedom of expression, human dignity, and the freedom and security of the person. They also violate international obligations to which Kenya is a party, including Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, as elaborated in General Comment No. 34.
"In addition, UNESCO Member States, through Resolution 29 of 1997 on the "Condemnation of violence against journalists", and the UN Security Council, through Resolution 1738 of 2006, have condemned attacks against journalists and called for their protection," the statement noted.
MCK said it had already documented the reported attacks and submitted the cases to authorities, but expressed concern over the lack of significant progress in the investigations.
"The Council has documented these cases and submitted them to the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority and the Director of Public Prosecutions for investigations and prosecutions. However, little progress has been made.
"We urge the security agencies and the public prosecutor to work closely with the affected parties to ensure that justice is served for all victims of these attacks," the statement concluded.
This comes weeks after MCK cautioned politicians against using media houses as places of refuge to evade law enforcement.
In a statement on Thursday, August 6, MCK CEO David Omwoyo said media institutions must remain independent spaces dedicated to journalism and public discourse.
"Following recent events where a politician sought refuge inside a media establishment to avoid legal processes, The Media Council of Kenya (MCK) reemphasises that media houses are independent platforms for public discourse, not sanctuaries from the rule of law," the statement read.
MCK said media institutions must remain safe and neutral spaces devoted exclusively to journalism, adding that newsrooms should never be treated as asylum centres where public figures can seek protection from legal processes.
It stressed that politicians and other public figures should leave media premises immediately after completing their engagements.
The council further warned that using media houses as tactical hideouts places unnecessary operational pressure on journalists and media organisations while creating the false impression that the press is complicit in external disputes.
It maintained that although it strongly defends freedom of expression, politicians are still required to submit to lawful processes outside media premises.
"The Media Council of Kenya urges all political actors to respect the physical and professional boundaries of media institutions to safeguard press freedom and editorial independence," the statement added.




