Linda Mwananchi has linked the National Intelligence Service (NIS) to the violence witnessed during its rally in Homa Bay, alleging that its supporters apprehended a man who was travelling with some of the attackers in an unmarked vehicle.
In a statement on Monday, August 17, Linda Mwananchi said the circumstances surrounding the man’s presence raised questions about the coordination of those involved in the attacks.
"In Nyandiwa, our supporters apprehended an individual who was travelling with some of the attackers in an unmarked black Toyota Prado. The circumstances surrounding his presence were consistent with the coordination of the individuals deployed against us," the statement read.
The group said the individual identified himself as an NIS officer and that his mobile phone was seized and remains in its possession.
"Upon questioning, the individual identified himself as an officer of the National Intelligence Service. His mobile phone was taken into our custody and remains in our possession," the statement added.
Read More
Linda Mwananchi further claimed that its team began receiving repeated calls to the seized phone from people identifying themselves as senior police officers, who allegedly demanded that the device be returned.
"Since then, our team has received a continuous stream of calls to that phone from individuals identifying themselves as senior police officers, demanding its return.
"We find it telling that the urgency to retrieve this device has come not from ordinary citizens concerned for a missing relative, but from ranking officers within the police service," the statement further read.
The group said the calls and the alleged urgency to recover the phone should raise questions about who was behind the events witnessed during the rally.
"We ask Kenyans to draw their own conclusions about what that urgency suggests, and more importantly, about who was truly directing yesterday's events," the statement explained.

Linda Mwananchi said it would preserve the phone as evidence and consult its legal team on how to proceed, including possible engagement with independent oversight and investigative agencies.
"We are treating this phone as evidence and will be guided by our legal team on the appropriate next steps, including engagement with any independent oversight and investigative bodies," the statement noted.
Elsewhere, the National Police Service (NPS) has arrested 37 suspected gang members following violence witnessed during the rally.
In a statement, NPS said the security deployment for the rally was coordinated by the Nyanza Regional Police Commander and was based on the nature and anticipated security requirements of the event.
However, several incidents were reported during the rally, including attacks on journalists, damage to police and civilian vehicles, and the death of a police officer.
"Regrettably, several criminal incidents were recorded, including an attack on journalists performing their lawful duties, damage to five police vehicles deployed for public order maintenance, and damage to several civilian motor vehicles. In addition, one police vehicle lost control, resulting in the death of its driver and injuries to five other officers," the statement read.
The NPS said the Homa Bay incidents followed another confrontation involving police officers on Saturday, August 15, when three officers were injured while arresting suspected gang members along the Kisumu-Kericho Road.
According to NPS, the incidents have brought the total number of injured officers in Kisumu and Homa Bay to eight, in addition to the officer who died in Homa Bay.
The service conveyed its condolences to the family of the deceased officer and wished the injured officers a swift recovery, while commending officers for continuing to perform their duties.
"A total of 37 suspected gang members have been arrested and were found in possession of various crude weapons, including machetes, ropes, metal rods, knives, rungus, batons and torches. The suspects will be processed accordingly and must face the full force of the law," the statement added.
NPS said police are also pursuing Oliver Jaoko, alias 'Olivetti', whom the NPS said remains at large, calling on him to surrender to the nearest police station as investigations into the violence continue.
"The NPS is pursuing Oliver Jaoko, alias "Olivetti," who is currently at large, and directs him to surrender to the nearest police station to assist with ongoing investigations. Operations to apprehend him and all other individuals involved in the violence are continuing," the statement further read.



 (1)-1787038718.jpg)

