Former Public Service Cabinet Secretary Justin Muturi has opened up on why he decided to remain in government even after his son Leslie Muturi was allegedly abducted by the National Intelligence Service (NIS).
Speaking on Friday, April 4, during an interview, Muturi said he sought advice from his close friends, who told him to remain in government and gather information on the Ruto administration before exposing it.
“I went through a lot of soul searching and at a point I asked if it was worth it, after consulting a number of close friends, many advised ‘stay put maybe there is a lot more you could be able to gather what your administration is doing and at an appropriate time let the world know’,” Muturi revealed.
Leslie was abducted in June 2024 in Nairobi’s Lavington area by unidentified individuals shortly after leaving a lounge on Dennis Pritt Road.
He was dragged from his car and forced into a getaway vehicle, which then sped away.
Read More
On January 14, Muturi, in a statement, said he was informed that his son had been abducted by NIS officers by a close friend who works with the service.
The former CS revealed that he had to drive to State House to seek President Ruto’s intervention for his son to be released by the NIS officers.
"Standing outside the pavilion, I heard the President ask Noordin Haji if he was holding my son. Noordin confirmed that indeed he was holding my son and the President instructed him to release Leslie immediately. Noordin responded that Leslie would be released within an hour,” he stated.
Muturi was fired from the Cabinet on March 26 after President Ruto made changes to his cabinet.
The Head of State nominated Mbeere North Member of Parliament Goofery Ruku to replace Muturi.
Before being fired, Muturi had taken issue with the abductions and extrajudicial killings in the country and wanted Ruto and the Cabinet to take more action.