Editor's Review

Suba South MP Caroli Omondi has defended Linda Mwananchi rallies against claims that the movement ferries supporters to its events.

Suba South MP Caroli Omondi has defended Linda Mwananchi rallies against claims that the movement ferries supporters to its events.

Speaking in an interview on Wednesday, August 19, the lawmaker insisted that its gatherings attract Kenyans organically.

"Linda Mwananchi does not ferry anybody to our rallies neither do we brand anybody. Our rallies are the most organic in the country. Unfortunately, we only get attacked where ODM is present," he said.

Meanwhile, Omondi said the movement believes Kenyans are seeking political change and is focused on bringing opposition leaders together to achieve that objective.

"Linda Mwananchi is conscious of the fact that Kenyans are determined to make a change. Our focus is on uniting the entire opposition on the basis of a shared platform, then putting together a team that will deliver that change," he added.

Omondi also dismissed ODM's prospects in the next elections, claiming that Linda Mwananchi would capture many of the seats currently associated with the party in different parts of the country.

"I don’t see any future for ODM. In Nairobi, ODM will not win any seats; all its seats will go to Linda Mwananchi. There is no ODM in Western, Kisii or Maasai land. We will take the seats in Wajir. In Nyanza, a few people may survive, but the majority will be with Linda Mwananchi," he further said.

Omondi also addressed the violence witnessed during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay, alleging that the state failed to protect members of the movement and accusing police officers of withdrawing from the scene as violence unfolded.

"The state enabled the goons brought by the county government by giving them electronic trailing on us. The police, including those who had been pretending to protect us, disappeared, while those around us remained completely inactive," he claimed.

File image of a Linda Mwananchi rally

Omondi went on to assign responsibility for the violence and deaths in Homa Bay to several local political leaders, while strongly criticising their leadership.

"Wanga bears the greatest responsibility for the deaths, destruction, and everything that happened in Homa Bay County, as well as Kaluma and Ogindo. Homa Bay County has produced some of the best leaders over the years; now we have empty heads, idiots pretending to be leaders while they are gangsters," he stated.

Notably, Linda Mwananchi linked the National Intelligence Service (NIS) to the violence, alleging that its supporters apprehended a man who was travelling with some of the attackers in an unmarked vehicle. 

In a statement on Monday, August 17, Linda Mwananchi said the circumstances surrounding the man’s presence raised questions about the coordination of those involved in the attacks. 

"In Nyandiwa, our supporters apprehended an individual who was travelling with some of the attackers in an unmarked black Toyota Prado. The circumstances surrounding his presence were consistent with the coordination of the individuals deployed against us," the statement read. 

The group said the individual identified himself as an NIS officer and that his mobile phone was seized and remains in its possession.

"Upon questioning, the individual identified himself as an officer of the National Intelligence Service. His mobile phone was taken into our custody and remains in our possession," the statement added.

Linda Mwananchi further claimed that its team began receiving repeated calls to the seized phone from people identifying themselves as senior police officers, who allegedly demanded that the device be returned.

"Since then, our team has received a continuous stream of calls to that phone from individuals identifying themselves as senior police officers, demanding its return," the statement further read.

Linda Mwananchi said it would preserve the phone as evidence and consult its legal team on how to proceed, including possible engagement with independent oversight and investigative agencies.

"We are treating this phone as evidence and will be guided by our legal team on the appropriate next steps, including engagement with any independent oversight and investigative bodies," the statement noted.